For this module to function correctly, lessons must be associated with a course, and topics must be associated with both a lesson and a course. Autocompletion will also be disabled for any lessons or topics that include modules uploaded using our Tin Canny plugin.
The Autocomplete Lessons & Topics module is part of the Pro Suite of modules for the Uncanny LearnDash Toolkit. It lets you control whether or not to automatically mark LearnDash lessons and topics as completed on page load. When autocompletion is enabled, the standard Mark Complete button does not appear. There are some situations in which a lesson/topic will not be autocompleted on page load. These include:
- The lesson/topic includes an incomplete assignment
- The lesson/topic contains one or more incomplete quizzes
- The lesson includes incomplete topics
- The lesson/topic has a timer enabled
- The lesson is being dripped (or Group Dripped) and is not yet available
- The lesson/topic contains a Gravity Form and the Autocomplete lessons & topics on Gravity Form Submission module is enabled
Note: When a user completes the last topic in a lesson with autocompletion enabled, they will be returned to the lesson for that topic, not moved to the next lesson.
When you first enable this module, “Enable auto-completion for all lessons and topics” is turned on by default. This means that visiting all lessons and topics that haven’t yet been completed will automatically complete them. There is also a global setting to disable autocompletion across the site.
In both cases, the global setting can be overridden at the lesson and topic levels.
You can override the global setting at the lesson or topic level by choosing one of the following options from the “Auto Complete” drop-down menu on the Edit screen of the associated lesson or topic:
- Disabled: No autocompletion on page load (i.e., the user will see the Mark Complete button)
- Enabled: Lesson/topic will be autocompleted on page load
- Use Global Setting (default): Inherit the global setting
Please note that topics do not inherit the autocompletion settings of the lesson. In other words, if the global setting disables autocompletion, but a lesson has autocompletion enabled, the topics under that lesson will not be completed automatically. Similarly, overrides set on the topics don’t roll up to their lesson.
The Done Button
When autocompletion is enabled, we add a Done button automatically to the last incomplete lesson or topic of a course so that learners cannot be stranded on the page with no way to navigate elsewhere (as would be the case if the last topic, for example, is the only topic in the lesson). This button acts as a final Mark Complete button and will trigger course completion.
Here are a few notes about the behavior of this button in different situations:
- The Done button no longer appears after the course has been completed.
- If linear progression is enabled, the Done button in the last topic of a lesson will automatically advance the user to the next lesson.
- If free form progression is enabled, the Done button in the last topic of a lesson will return the user to the lesson page.