Codes can be generated for either LearnDash Courses OR LearnDash Groups. Combinations are unfortunately not possible. Once a selection is made, a list of available courses or groups is displayed further down the page. The courses and groups must exist in the system before they can be associated with codes. Codes can be automatically generated, or entered manually.
Begin by choosing Auto-generate codes under Generation method. Then fill out the remaining fields:
- Code type
- Default is the appropriate selection in most cases.
- Paid codes are used with WooCommerce to indicate that the associated code has been paid for previously; when redeemed as part of a purchase that includes a product that requires a LearnDash code (see this article), the price of the associated product is reduced to $0.
- Unpaid codes are also tied to WooCommerce transactions but charge the user the full amount. If the codes you generate can be used outside of Woo transactions, “Default” should be selected.
- Number of unique codes: The number of unique codes to generate. This is how many codes the system will create when then Save Changes button is clicked. This number can be as low or as high as is needed.
- Number of uses per code: Defines how many times a code can be redeemed. For codes that are specific to a user, this should likely be “1”. For codes that will be shared among a group of users, this may be much higher. It’s not always practical to distribute individual codes, so this field allows control over how much a code can be shared.
- Number of characters: The number of characters to include in each code. There is no minimum length, but to ensure codes are unique and not easily guessed, we suggest at least 8 characters.
- Dash separation: Divides the code into sections with hyphens to make them easier to read. They hyphens are not included in the Number of characters.
- Prefix or Suffix: Setting a Prefix or Suffix is always recommended. This makes codes much easier to identify at a glance and to manage, as without one there’s no easy way to identify generated codes. When selling licenses to organizations, we recommend that the organization name or a suitable abbreviation be used for the prefix.
Once generated, the batch of codes is added to the View Codes page of the plugin.
Manually entering codes
Custom codes can be entered instead of auto-generating codes. To do this, select Manually enter codes under Generation method. Doing this replaces the Number of unique codes, Number of characters, Dash separation, Prefix and Suffix fields above with a single textarea labeled Enter one code per line. Select the appropriate options and enter your custom codes one per line.
Codes support letters, numbers and hyphens.